Calling all of my foodies for this post!! Since making Georgia our home I’ve been on a hunt for… phenomenal southern food! So let me tell you, this will be an ever growing list AND this is just part one!! So do not be disappointed friends, because there’s so many more places to visit. Enjoy this list of my top 10 Georgia favorites, and be sure to check back soon!
Food holds a special place in our hearts as a family. We LOVE good food. Not just good food, but the memories that surround the meals. When I think of these restaurants, I can immediately recall parts of our journey in making Georgia home.
A Southern tour of savory, sweet, and some heat!
When you visit Georgia don’t just stay in the Atlanta area. There are some of the most beautiful and unique spots outside of the city! That’s the beauty of this state – the small owned restaurants.
Every location has a certain charm of curated local art, southern hospitality, and a menu you will not forget! So without further ado, here is the part one of my top 19 favorite Georgia restaurants!
Let’s get local!
1. The Local Woodfired Grill: Where are all my vegan, local, and clean eating friends? If you’ve ever wondered can you taste the difference when it’s local and healthy? Well this spot will completely answer that!
Local Woodfired Grill is tucked right in Alpharetta (30 minutes from the city). This spot is not just well known, it lives up to the name with a fresh and savory menu! The owners have created a flavor profile that ties in tastes of Asia, Europe, and the Americas. Menu options are a spread of grilled veggies, proteins, and you guessed it vegan falafel!!
Whether for lunch or dinner you will love adding this to your plans!
2. Hen Mother Cookhouse: This is one of the absolute gems of Georgia! Located in Johns Creek, this spot is stunning upon entry. The quaint touches and details from the walls to the dishes make this spot one to remember. The staff are a true delight and the atmosphere is beautifully eclectic and serene. This spot stays busy… so be sure to come before noon on the weekend!
The food… OH THE FOOD! I won’t even speak of the portions, because you’ll have to see it to believe it (look below!) The menu is the perfect blend of sweet, savory, with a southern home style flair. Every item is made fresh and with local ingredients. You have to try the French toast – it’s an order!
3. Che Butter Jones: You are in for a major treat, because this once food truck is opening an actual location! We were introduced to the flavors of Che Butter Jonez through fellow foodie friends.
This menu is packed with flava on flava y’all! The owner is constantly creating new flavor profiles that keep you coming back for more. We ordered almost the entire menu and I could not get enough. It was a mix of creole, Latino, southern, and other places Im not even sure we’ve visited yet. Put this one on the map, we can’t wait for their spot to open!
4. Maple Street Biscuits Company: Hand tossed biscuits and the aroma of comfort food is what will warmly greet you here! Ever heard of goat cheese on a biscuit? Or take that with crispy chicken topped with freshly made peppered jelly. You’ll find this dish under the Squawking Goat!
This sandwich among a myriad of other entrees makes Maple Street Biscuits Company stand out! From their creamy grits bowl to the chicken and biscuits, everything is delicious. The atmosphere is cozy (as my son would say) and the staff are such a delight.
5. Marlow’s Tavern: A savory twist on American favorites. Here is where you’ll find one of my personal favorites, grit cakes and shrimp. Read that again…grit cakes!! Delectable fried, crispy, and mouth watering. From the burgers, salads, and special entrees you cannot go wrong with this spot!
6. The Bagel Hole: Craving fresh new York style bagels? Well you’ve come to the right place! Don’t question me, I spent every summer in Brentwood Long Island, NY where I at all the New York classics daily.
The Bagel Hole holds a special place in our hearts, because of the owner Cathy. She has loved on our kids since day one and I cannot tell you how much they adore her. This is a spot you’ll easily become a regular at and the recommendations are to die for!
7. The Varsity: This is an Atlanta staple and worth stopping by at least once! The Varsity is a classic burger spot which brings all the feels! The diner style encompasses a fun nostalgia. Located in the heart of the city it is not far from the Georgia Aquarium and Coca Cola Factory.
Their fries and onion rings are so so good. Be sure to grab a booth and hang out a while, because there is so much to see.
I hope your mouth is watering after taking this tour with me! Georgia continues to surprise me with the most wonderful experiences. The people, food, and uniqueness of every spot continues to add to the beauty of the Peach State!
Be sure to let me know if you’re in the area and save this list! I cannot wait to hear where you stop by and your own reviews.