Simple Mixed Berry Compote Recipe From Frozen Berries
If you know me, you know I wasn’t much of a cook. However, in efforts to spend less time running around, save money (that’s the big one), and mainly because my kids prefer to not eat out. So in the beginning of the year we adjusted our eating in addition to taking some time in prayer for our current season of life. This mixed berry compote recipe was the perfect mix of healthy and satisfying!
Well let me tell you, the adjustment yielded some amazing recipes and has greatly expanded our repertoire of good eats here at Casa Galeano! So for this I used a multigrain French bread and the recipe below from this Five Heart Home.
Mind you I did alter the recipe to fit what we had. I didn’t have cornstarch so this worked out, there are also even simpler recipes than this one but do require sugar.
Mixed Berry Compote Recipe
What you Need:
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
What you Do:
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine 2 cups blueberries, maple syrup, water, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 to 8 more minutes (or until compote reaches your desired consistency), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm.
Be patient this compote doesn’t necessarily become extremely thick, but it does need time to really solidify. Watch it, but don’t remove it from the stove too soon!
This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the photo and the recipe.