Most of my days have been full of snuggles and lots of feedings…I mean a LOT of feedings. If Titus knows how to do anything really well (aside from being incredibly adorable), it is most certainly eating. Which is wonderful and a bit exhausting since I haven’t nursed for the last almost two years! With Kai I had the privilege of nursing him until he self weaned around 13 months. As a new mom then I most definitely wanted to keep going as long as possible and was so grateful for sticking out my first breast feeding journey, since not everyone is able to have one. The biggest support I had through the adjustments and phases of nursing came from my sister, who gave me the best advice I think most women need to hear when deciding to breast feed – KEEP. GOING. It’s incredibly easy to get discouraged through latching issues, cracked nipples, and just being tired – but it does get better!
So aside from a big hug and a healthy dose of KEEP GOING nursing mama, I wanted to share my top breast feeding essentials that have hands down helped me along the way! I’m hoping that if you don’t already own any of these items that you will definitely give them a try.
1. Lasinoh Disposable Nursing Pads: I absolutely love these pads! I did give the material nursing pads a shot, however, it didn’t really work for me (I lost too many in the wash…). I haven’t had a leak since wearing them either!
2. Jason Aloe Vera: To help with tenderness and the joys of swelling – keeping a tube of organic aloe vera in the fridge to rub on after nursing has been a life saver. If you have an actual plant that is the ideal alternative, but staying moisturized is so important.
3. Medela Lanolin: This time around I’ve had a bad case of cracked nipples, to which this has helped immensely. I do love this brand and many of their other products, but this small tube does rank rather high in my opinion. It’s completely safe for baby and you, so applying after nursing, after showering, or even right before nursing is completely okay.
4. Lavender Oil: If you don’t have a friend already or know someone who is using essentials oils, I’m pretty sure you’ve seen them somewhere. Lavender oil has so many wonderful uses and has been key while nursing recently for me. Applying a few drops with aloe vera or even coconut oil have kept tenderness and swelling down as well. I would invest in a bottle honestly, you will use it beyond nursing (trust me)!
5. Water: I know, is this really on the list? YES. Simply because you don’t realize how important it is to stay hydrated while nursing. Many times you don’t think to drink BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER nursing. Taking care of your body is key, so drink up mama!
What are some of your favorite items to use while nursing? I’d love to add to my list of must have items!