How To Spend Time With God: 5 Practical And simple Ways Regardless of Busyness
As crucial as spending time with God is, I often find it’s one of my most significant daily challenges. I love sitting alone and digging deep into the world, but there aren’t many alone moments if I’m honest. But after a long season, almost a year, I realized that searching for the “perfect time” was more of a hindrance than a help. I desperately needed to find simple and practical ways to enjoy time with God regardless of what was happening.
Busy mama, spiritual nourishment and growth can happen in the mess of life. As I shifted my approach to “quiet time,” I began to remove my time restrictions or “perfection.” My time started during breakfast, sitting with my bible and reading amid my kids’ morning conversations. I found myself being able to get through a passage! Taking the small wins consistently also has allowed a unique invitation and opportunity for my kids to see and engage during my time with God – and see it.
So whether you’re starting discouraged, overwhelmed, or even frustrated, I want to tell you I’ve been there and still have my days…but there are ways to start enjoying and prioritizing time with God.
suggestions for spending time with God, even as a busy mom:
- Be flexible. Remember that time with God doesn’t always have to be formal or structured. It can be as simple as listening to worship music during errands, praying while folding laundry, or reading a passage of scripture while waiting in line at the grocery store.
- Involve your children in your time with God. This can be a great way to model the importance of a relationship with God, and it can also be a fun and meaningful way to connect, spur conversations, and develop their own time with God.
- Take advantage of technology to stay connected to God, EVEN IF you are on the go. Listening to daily devotions, Bible readings, and even podcasts can help you to stay connected. I will listen to scripture on the bible app, and did you know Alexa will read the Bible too?
- Make the most of your daily routine by incorporating moments of prayer and even scripture memorization into everyday activities. For example, you could listen to a devotional podcast while driving or running errands, read a passage from the Bible while waiting in line at the grocery store, or meditate on a verse while doing household chores.
- Don’t box yourself in. I grew up where time with God was more of a task than an invitation to a relationship, and it’s taken years to remove that stigma. Time with God can be constant, not just one moment in the day. Spread your time throughout the day in various ways; trust me, it will fill your cup!
time with God doesn’t have to be a hinderance
I know it can be a challenge from one busy mama to another. There are so many things on your plate and much more. But let me tell you something: spending time with God doesn’t have to be a hindrance if you allow yourself to see it as more than a period or task in your day.
Time with God is the growth of a relationship. Spending time with God is not confined to church attendance or simply praying at home. It’s about spending time with God in your day—the little moments where you can be still and listen when you take a moment away from your phone or computer screen and focus on Him.
You may not think of these times as “spending time with God,” but they are! They’re little windows into His presence that will help you grow closer to Him over time. I pray these practical ways will help you enjoy those moments more than ever!