After having a successful VBAC with Titus, I still was incredibly nervous about being able to have another with baby #3. The anticipation of the unexpected never goes away. No level of confidence in planning or preparing, can really set the course for when the day comes.
Baby #3 had the due date of February 24th, but I was pretty certain that he would be making an appearance before then (and I was right!). For nearly two weeks I had varying contractions that I could time, but I knew weren’t actual active laboring ones. I kept teaching and preparing as I figured it was better than just staying at home bored. The mental frustration was definitely there as I kept thinking, is it time?
Stepping into the final week of contractions, my body was just exhausted. I had one more OB appointment and she insisted I rest, because baby would be coming at some point… and that wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear. But I took her advice and acknowledged maternity leave was best. By this time around, I’ve learned you can only do so much.
So I rested. I worked from home on things I could and spent other time trying to soak in moments with hubby, Kai, and Titus. We went out more, ate ice cream after bedtime, and took it easy. Especially since right before baby arrived, both boys had the flu and I had a horrible upper respiratory infection!
Then it was time… Sunday, February 18th, I woke up and figured we should make it to church. So I served in my kids church ministry all the while feeling heavy contractions… I know. By the afternoon I had a feeling they weren’t going to let up, so I took one of our dogs for a walk…and ate a fresh pineapple thanks to my dear friend Veronica. Did I mention I was ready for baby to come? Around 6:00pm my parents had stopped by to visit and the contractions began to align. I joked with my parents that I probably would go into labor after they got home… I was right.
9:45pm | Hospital call. Contractions weren’t letting up, and with much anxiety I called the hospital. To my relief they felt it best I come in. We dropped the boys off and made our way. When we arrived it was monitoring and shortly after admitted into our room. I was around 3/4cm dilated when my mom joined us in the room for baby watch.
Each delivery my mom has been a part of and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I continue to appreciate her more and more. This delivery was extra special as Mike asked her to cut the umbilical cord.
1:30pm| 5/6cm dilated. Time passed slowly and quickly simultaneously somehow. As with most VBAC’s you have to labor on your own, which thankfully I was progressing. After breaking my water things picked up as expected and I had an epidural (a stipulation of the VBAC – which I was fine with). But for some reason modern medicine and this body of mine just aren’t friends. So a portion of my body didn’t respond to the epidural and the contractions were definitely at their peak. Back.to.back.
2:45pm | Potential C-section. Our delivering doctor was incredible. An hour had passed of intense pushing, but little one still hadn’t really made much progress down the canal. Though his heart rate recovered well with each push, the doctor didn’t want to potentially continue with that stress…so she told us our possible need for a c-section. As disappointing as it felt initially, I’ve moved passed my own plans especially when it comes to my kids. So I let her know if we needed to, that was fine…but she had one more idea. Shampoo. Explaining that shampoo can be a lubricant to help, she lathered little one’s head up and he began to move! What happened next was awesome. After one more big push and the majority of the head crowned. A moment later baby’s entire body slid out on its own!
3:07pm | Welcome baby boy! So I had two sonograms with this baby. They both revealed two different genders…and that secretly gave Mike and I hope that maybe we might have a girl on our hands. We all looked for the final verdict and a confirmed boy joined the Galeano family. Looking at that precious face we knew once again the right baby found us again.
Izaiah Cruz | 6lbs 7oz | 21in
It took us a full day to decide on a name, and Izaiah completely fits. It means salvation of the Lord. Cruz is the name Makai contributed while we were searching, and we wanted to honor that. He is more than I could have imagined and fits right into our world.
I had to stay an extra day with Izaiah as he tested Coombs Positive due to our differing blood types and his bilirubin levels weren’t decreasing. The boys got to come to the hospital our second night to meet him and Makai was thrilled. Titus was equally thrilled that the hospital bed moved (priorities haha!).
It’s been a full week of life for baby Izaiah… I can’t believe it. Time is already passing me by. He is as sweet and in charge as his brothers. I can’t wait to learn who he is and what God has in store for him. We love you Izzy!