5 ways to bless your new mama friends!
No matter if it’s your first baby or your fifth, it’s always helpful when people lend a hand while you get settled. Mind you the balance of help is based on every mama, but I know for me these five things were incredibly helpful every time I’ve brought home a new baby.
These don’t include the usual bombarding of house guests wanting to ooh and aah over your little one while you wish you could be topless if your nursing or cry in a corner from lack of sleep… I mean it really is difficult adjusting to your new life in motherhood, but I promise you these are some of the best things friends and even acquaintances have done for me third time around that have filled my heart beyond what I expected!
- Bringing a meal: The classic dropping off food is always appreciated! I love this part of having a new baby honestly (can you blame me). Because it’s extremely helpful! The less time devoted to meal planning in the first few weeks the better. As you’re learning your new schedule, I know it’s easy to go without eating until you’re starving. We also have had friends drop off groceries as well.
- Gift cards: This time around we received a few gifts cards that helped immensely with groceries and other items that we didn’t realize we needed once baby came home. One of them was to our local Sams Club which was fantastic since we now live in bulk item land with three.
- In House Coffee Date: Since some of my favorite coffee shops don’t deliver, I’ve had dear friends who did it for them! Whether all your babes are home or you get a break with school aged kiddos, having someone bring over coffee to sit and chat while you rest is amazing!
- Surplus Items: I’ve never been so thankful to receive the two baskets full of items that you see above. A family from church I know loves to coupon, I mean the mom is downright phenomenal at it. Shortly after having Izaiah she asked if she could just drop by a few things for us. I’m telling you, from not being able to go to the grocery store and forgetting almost every necessity (somehow I missed that in my nesting), I was beyond grateful for extra of everything! So a small or even big basket of basic necessities goes a long long way.
- Space & Time: I know this may seem silly, but giving your new mama friends time is a blessing in itself. I love new babies. I love their smell, their tiny faces, their tiny sweet everything! More importantly I love sharing in the joy of motherhood with my friends, but I know space and time is what most people don’t realize is just as valuable in those first few weeks. Giving just a little bit of space will certainly help.