Blogging in whatever capacity can be an incredible outlet and even digital story of life. I have personally seen the beauty of blogging and it’s value. However, whether you’re starting a blog for fun or for profit – make sure of this… love what you’re writing about. Be passionate about the content you share and the community you desire to build. That’s why it’s so important to clarify and find your niche as a blogger and/or influencer. I hope this will help you do the most important thing first – how to find your niche in blogging!
I am thrilled you want to start a blog!
After being asked multiple times about how to start a blog, I figured it was time to share a great starting point! As I watch more the pendulum swing and I see so many people ready to share their voice. There really is no better time than NOW. It’s awesome and I get excited at all of the new possibilities out there. In the sea of bloggers it’s easy to look out and feel like you’re drowning before you’ve even begun. So read this and know that there is space for you at the blogging table! I mean that.
How to find your niche in blogging
“There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.”Anthony Rapp
This is the most important part of stepping into how to find your niche in blogging friend. The special aspect of a blog is your voice, perspective, and how you see the world around YOU. Yes, the special sauce is… YOU. Too often many people try and replicate others instead of stepping on your own path.
So whether it’s mommy blogging, home and decor, cooking, or how to make money – your niche is missing your perspective. In fact, there are people waiting on what YOU have to share. So here are 3 keys to get you started:
- Are you a content creator or a content curator? Blogs serve a variety of purposes and before you define your “topics” decide how you want to share information with your readers. Are you someone who enjoys creating original content? Or are you someone who prefers to research and gather the top content in specific topics? Both are valuable, yet attract different people!
- Identify 3 main target areas: This is key and honestly may change/shift overtime. More often than not, bloggers will start with a lifestyle umbrella until they can get more specific. However, write down a list of topics you find interesting already! I encourage you to look at your Instagram. Once you decided on your target areas, these will be considered your content buckets. This is important, because the content you share helps direct your readers in how they can best connect with you. By focusing that content, you retain the right audience, and most importantly grow your community!
- Research and define top blogs in your niche: In the blogging arena, research is your best friend. Using Google, Semrush, and even Instagram can help you start to pinpoint blogs that are successfully doing what you hope to in that particular niche. Keywords research is also a great place to start. Keywords particularly help you see how people search for topics and what they may be asking for. This is a tool that can help you navigate the market and see where your knowledge can step in.
What’s next to begin my blog?
Once you’ve begun the journey of how to find your niche in blogging, it’s important to begin with how you want to execute it. Yes, even blogging more than ever needs a solid plan. Many people start a blog and think the money, page views, and more will just pour right in. It’s not that easy friend, but the resources are endless. One of my favorite guides is from At Home With Natalie.
So now that you’ve found your niche in blogging you’ll want to consider how to best invest in yourself. I want to be clear, investment does not alays mean money. It actually means valuable knowledge! Content and tools that you can carry with you to execute a plan.
Yes, I’ve made this mistake too, where I want to get to it ALL. I want to set up the accounts, rearrange my Pinterest, and fix the Instagram feed. BUT, this part takes some thought and time. Choosing the right investments are worth your time friend.
So the next steps for you are this AFTER you’ve found your niche:
- Decide your blog name
- Find a host server if you want to establish your domain
- Create a content calendar
I’m excited to continue to share more about getting your blog up and running this month! Be sure to come back as I talk more about setting up your blog and even a content calendar!